An exploding box craft can be so much fun! You can nest as many or as few as you want and decorate them with photos, word art, and embellishments to create the perfect surprise for your recipient or a special keepsake for yourself!
You’ll need a few items to get started:
45-lb. Matte Photo Paper, 51-lb. Presentation Paper or any other sturdy 8.5×11-inch paper stock that is appropriate for your printer.
glue stick or any adhesive of your choice
1. Decide whether you want to make a small, medium, or large exploding box. Now, using your digital scrapbooking stash, clip a digital paper to the cross-shaped template which forms the body of the box size you selected. Print the patterned paper onto medium-weight cardstock. This will become the outside of your box. (I used a 45-lb. Matte Photo Paper.)
2. Decorate the template with embellishments, word art, etc., and print it on the opposite side of the cardstock you printed above—this will be the inside of your box.
3. Cut out and fold up the sides of your box.
4. Next, move to the box lid of the corresponding size. Using your digital scrapbooking stash, select papers and embellishments to decorate the lid, then print it out.
5. Cut out and fold down sides and glue tabs (I found small Zots-brand clear adhesive dots work great). If you’re using a heart or star topper, fold it in half before inserting through a slit in the lid. Then fold the legs out like a brad and glue them to the underside of the lid.
6. You have now completed your exploding box! I added glitter glue, an acetate window, and then created a medium box to nest inside. The medium box has pockets with tags that have photos on the back of each. Some mini ornaments and a bow complete the look!
Brandy Murry’s Christmas Chronicles Collection Biggie
Angela Blanchard’s Newlywed Collection
ScrapSimple Craft Template: Exploding Box