Create a Fun Snow Globe Embellishment with Layer Your Own Brushes
With the addition of the ScrapSimple Layer Your Own: Snow Globe Brush Set at Scrap Girls, you can now easily place your favorite photo or other favorite image in the middle of a whimsical snow globe!
1. Locate and load the ScrapSimple Layer Your Own: Snow Globe Brush Set into your program. Each brush purchase at Scrap Girls comes complete with instructions for use in several popular programs such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc. Scrap Girls also offers instructions in the University located at http://www.scrapgirls.com/SG_University_main.htm
2. Create a new document by clicking File> New. In the pop-up box, make changes so that your new document will be at least 10 inches by 10 inches at 300 dpi, with a transparent background. You will construct the snow globe at its largest size, but can easily reduce the size later, if necessary.
3. Select the "Globe" Brush and click in the center, yet more towards the top, of the new document. I have chosen to "stamp" my brush in black, however, you may use any color you wish.
4. Create a new layer in the Layers Palette. Select the new layer. Select the "Snowfallen" Brush. While snow is traditionally white, it doesn't have to be for our fun design, so I have picked a green/blue color that will coordinate nicely with the papers I plan to use. Click near the bottom of the globe to add the fallen snow. Don't worry if you don't line it up perfectly – if it's not where you want it, you can simply move it into place since we have created it on its own layer.
5. Create a new layer in the Layers Palette. Select the new layer. Select the "Base" Brush and click near the bottom of the globe. I chose to make my base black, like the globe, but you may use any color you wish.
6. Now we will add some more snow. Create another new layer and make sure this new layer is selected. You will also probably want to use the same color that you used for the fallen snow. I chose the brush called "Snow2" – click in the middle of the globe to create the snow.
7. The fun part – select the object that you wish to have in the middle of your snow globe. The ScrapSimple Layer Your Own: Snow Globe Doodle Brush Set comes with a pine tree and a snowman. However, you can just as easily add a design from another collection, or even add a favorite photo. If adding designs, such as PNGs that are included with most Scrap Girls collections, just copy and paste, or slide them into the globe. If using a brush, be sure to create another new layer, select your color, select your brush, and click in the middle of the globe.
8. At this point your globe is finished! Some optional steps you might like: add more snow (consider adding some to the top of your globe scene for a more realistic look, resize the globe if it is too large, add Layer Styles to parts of the globe, apply a Layer Mask to parts of the globe (for example, create the base out of a pattern paper, rather than a solid color). Get creative and have fun!
Card by Brandie Valenzuela
Tutorial written by Brandie Valenzuela