Click here to read online
You Need to See This: Are Your Memories Degrading?
Your email address is safe with us. We never share, rent, sell, or loan our list with anyone!
If you ever need any assistance, please email [email protected] or call
The entire Scrap Girls team wants to say how grateful we are that you have chosen to participate with us. You'll never know just how much your support means to us and our families.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW
Don't forget to check out the Retirement Sale section of the Boutique. Items in this section are always on sale for 30% off. The items you will find during any particular month will be discontinued permanently on the 5th of the following month. So if you see something you like, grab it while you can!
OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOU
Suggest a Challenge, Win a Prize! Have a great idea for a Gallery layout challenge? Submit it to [email protected]. If your challenge idea is chosen, you will win a prize! Friday will be Customer Challenge Day, so keep an eye out on the Message Board calendar. It will be fun to see what YOU come up with for us to do!
Scrap Girls sends a birthday gift to each of our Forum members!
Of course, it is a surprise what you will receive because birthday presents should alway be a surprise! Make sure your Forum email address is current and that you have the correct birthdate entered into your profile to participate.
TIP OF THE DAY
What happens if you get an error message when unzipping a file?
Delete the file completely off of your computer, reboot, and then download it again to a new location on your computer. This forces your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to give you the good file. If you still get an error message, then email us at [email protected] to let us know, and we can check the file.
You Need to See This: Are Your Memories Degrading?
One of the projects I have undertaken since starting my Life Scrapbook in December was to save all of my VHS home movies and audio tapes to my computer. I knew that their quality was degrading over time and that if I didn't do something with them soon, I could lose them forever. That would have been a shame because some of my treasures included two VHS tapes of home movies from when my kids were little (all we have), interviews I did in high school with each of my living grandparents, tapes of some musicals I was in, and my senior vocal recital.
For a long time, I assumed that I'd need to hire a company to do this for me and because it seemed hard to get myself together to do that, it never happened. Finally, I decided to do some Internet searches to see if there is an easier way to do it. In the process, I came across Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (for PC). I purchased mine at Amazon.com.
Roxio Easy VHS to DVD is a Mac version. I haven't used it before because I am a PC user, but it seems to work much the same way and comes with the same type of equipment and software.
Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe comes with software to install on your computer. It also includes a converter box and all the cords you need to connect everything. It's very simple to use. Here's how you do it:
VHS TAPES TO YOUR COMPUTER
1. Move your VHS and audio tape players close to your computer.
2. Attach the cord to the back of your player. In this instance, I have it plugged into my VHS player. The ends are color-coded so you can easily see what you are doing.
3. Next, you will plug the other end of the cord into the converter box that comes with Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe. Again, everything is color-coded so it's easy to see what you need to do.
4. The program also has a USB cord with it. This cord runs between the converter box and your computer.
5. After you install the Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe software on your computer, start it up. The welcome splash page looks like this. Because I knew that my VHS tapes had video on them that I didn't want to move over, I chose the Advanced Mode. This allowed me to start and stop the recording session at will. The Easy Wizard Mode allows you to burn a VHS video straight onto a DVD.
6. The Advanced Mode work space looks like this. Insert the VHS tape you wish to record to your computer and push "Play." Once the video starts, it will appear in the window. Push the red recording button.
7. The video has to play while you are recording it. You can adjust the volume level to some degree while it is playing. Once the video portion you are working with has ended, push the little blue square button to stop recording. The Save dialogue will appear, and you can name your video as you wish.
8. You can then play your video on your computer and use it for various things, like inserting into a Presentation Digital Scrapbook 1-2-3 album.
When I was working on this project, I found this video of my daughter, Julianne, in the PICU. She was born a little bit too soon and couldn't breathe on her own. This is the very first time I was able to feed her. I was so excited to find the video because I had completely forgotten about it. Seeing it has motivated me to make an album about my difficult pregnancy (which included 20 weeks of bed rest), her birth and stay in the PICU, and homecoming. I'll be able to include this video in the album.
I'll set it up just like I did when I made the album about my granddaughter, Baylee. I uploaded this video to YouTube so you can see how neat it is to have a video in a digital scrapbook.
Of course, you can burn the video onto a DVD for playing on your TV.
Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe also includes options for uploading your video to YouTube and formatting it for an iPod or iPad.
AUDIO TAPES TO YOUR COMPUTER
Moving an audio tape to your computer is just as easy.
1. Attach the cord to your audio tape player. Don't worry that you can't plug the yellow end into anything because the yellow end is related to video. Next, plug the cord into the converter box and then plug the converter box into your computer.
2. Start the Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe software and choose Audio Recorder from the splash screen window.
3. Insert the audio tape into the player and push play. Then hit the red record button in the software. This is what you will see as the audio tape is playing. Adjust the audio level, as desired. Once the tape has stopped playing, hit the blue square button to stop recording. A Save dialogue will appear. Name the file in a way that will allow you to remember what the tape is all about.
4. You can then burn the audio file onto a CD for archival purposes. You can also insert it into a Presentation Digital Scrapbook 1-2-3 as I have here. I've got my slide show set up so that the audio starts as soon as the presentation lands on this slide.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Scrap Girls, Etc. is a column pulling bits and pieces from all over Scrap Girls. Stay tuned as Scrap Girls' team members bring you tutorials, musings, recipes, interviews, design/software tips and tricks, layout walk-throughs, and who knows what else!
Learn to make digital scrapbooking layouts and more! – Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed
Ready to learn advanced techniques? – MORE Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed
Join the Scrap Girls Monthly Club and you can have fun with the newest traditional digital and printable scrapbooking looks while saving! (A $40.87 value for $9.99 or less!)
The Scrap Girls Club contents are released on the 1st day of the month (or the closest business day to the 1st).
With the Scrap Girls Club, you will receive:
March's Scrap Girls Club designed for you by Brandy Hackman
Layout by Brandy Hackman
using March's Scrap Girls Club
Join the ScrapSimple Monthly Club and you can enjoy the newest ScrapSimple looks while saving! (A $13.95 value for $6.99 or less!)
The new ScrapSimple Club contents are released on the 15th day of the month (or the closest business day to the 15th).
A commercially licensed version of the ScrapSimple Club is also available here.
With the ScrapSimple Club, you will receive:
Layout by Brandy Murry
using March's ScrapSimple Club
Commercial license versions of Snowbound Collection Mini, ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: Sliced and Lifted Photo Frames and ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: Artful Photo Masks are also available.
Today's freebie designed by Kim Meeder
* There is a "free download" button on the details page for each gift. You don't need to put them in your shopping cart unless you are shopping for other items. Also note that if you are slow reading your newsletter, you may find this freebie has already been retired, as the freebies are only available as gifts for about two newsletter cycles.
Creative Cards Chat
Tuesday, April 3rd - 6:00PM MDT
Do you use your digital supplies to make cards? Do you want to? Instead of going to the store every time you need a card, you can save money and have fun making cards with your digi-stash! Make a note of any cards you might need for the upcoming month and join April (April Showers) and Theresa (tiza126) for the once-a-month Card Chat on the first Tuesday of each month at 6pm MT. Can't wait to see you there!
East Coast High Noon Crop
Wednesday, April 4th - 10:00AM MDT
Join April (April Showers) each Wednesday at 10am MT for the East Coast High Noon Crop. All coasts and time zones are welcome! These crops are designed to allow you to work on your own photos and themes, simply giving participants a one hour goal and a fun, new challenge each week.
On April 4th, we'll do a Photo Manipulation Challenge! Create a layout using a photo you have manipulated in some way - change it to black and white or sepia, remove a distraction, cut out the subject. Anything goes!
Create your layout and upload it to the special High Noon Crop Gallery. You'll be amazed what you can get done in just one hour, but there is no High Noon Sheriff timing you! Hope to see you in the chat room!
March's Forum Game: Simple Steps to Super Scrapping
This month's Scrap Girls Forum game, Simple Steps to Super Scrapping, is designed to help you get more scrapbook pages done with a series of simple steps that add up to a finished page at the end of each week.
Throughout March, Monday through Saturday, a team member will post a daily layout step in the Simple Steps to Super Scrapping game thread; the first week has 9 steps, and the remaining three weeks have 6 steps each. These steps will be posted in large purple font so they will be easy to spot.
Members who complete the steps required in the game thread and post all 4 layouts in the Simple Steps to Super Scrapping Gallery will be entered in a drawing for one of two $15.00 Scrap Girls Boutique Gift Certificates.
Each completed layout posted in the Simple Steps to Super Scrapping Gallery, up to 4 per member, will be entered in a drawing for one of three $5.00 Scrap Girls Boutique Gift Certificates.
You have until 11:59pm MDT on March 31, 2012 to complete the steps and post your layouts to the Simple Steps to Super Scrapping Gallery.
For complete details, visit the Monthly Message Board Games folder on the Scrap Girls Forum.
March Monthly Layout Contest: The month of March brings the beginning of spring here in the northern hemisphere. With the coming of spring, we think of renewal. For March's contest, we would like to see your layouts with the theme of renewal or rebirth - be it personal, professional, family, or from nature. Post your layouts in the March Monthly Layout Gallery before Midnight MDT on March 31st. Be sure to tell us by title, word art or journaling how this layout fits the theme and to list your layout's product credits in the description or under the EXIF Properties. Two layouts will be selected to win a $10 Gift Certificate to the Scrap Girls Boutique!
Club Concepts Layout Contest: Post your new layout using the current club selection (either the Scrap Girls Club or the ScrapSimple Club) in our Scrap Girls Club Members Gallery or the ScrapSimple Club Members' Gallery. Be sure to list all of the Scrap Girls products you used. If your layout is chosen, it will be showcased as a Club Concepts layout winner, and you will win a $5 Gift Certificate to the Scrap Girls Boutique!
Check our Forum calendar if you have any questions about what is happening at Scrap Girls. All event times are given in Mountain Time Zone unless otherwise noted. Need help converting time zones? Check out the World Clock - Time Zone Converter. (Use 'USA-Utah-Salt Lake City' as the location for the Mountain time zone.)
Copyright Scrap Girls, LLC 2004-2012
This newsletter may be freely redistributed by email in its unedited form. We encourage you to share it with others.
Customers or advertisers, you may contact us at:
Toll-free: (866) 598-3444
P.S. If you ever need any assistance, please email [email protected] or call 866-598-3444 and we'll help you as quickly as possible!